Veteran's Policies Get High Marks at DRS
DRS Technologies recently was listed on Military Times EDGE magazine’s annual “Best for Vets: Employers” list. DRS joins 40 other companies that have gone above and beyond the call of duty for their military and veteran employees with policies that help veterans with everything from recruiting to reserve duty.
To create the list, Military Times EDGE surveyed more than 1,000 major companies and top government contractors about their recruiting and hiring policies, social recognition for veterans and pay and benefits for reservists.
Military Times EDGE looked for companies that didn’t just talk about how much they support the military but had in place tangible policies and programs to help veterans get in the door and feel welcome once inside.
When it comes to support for veterans, DRS received great marks in several areas, including corporate culture, reserve policies and recruiting policies. Some of DRS Technologies’ veteran-friendly initiatives include:
More than 24 percent of DRS executives and 17% of the company’s U.S. employees identify themselves as veterans.
- Working with DoD and veterans services organizations to recruit disabled veterans.
- Accepting military experience in lieu of civilian experience.
- Assisting with classes organized by the military Transition Assistance Program or Army Career and Alumni Program that help prepare service members for civilian careers.
- Promoting veteran-owned business and service-disabled veteran-owned business as suppliers.
- The DRS Technologies Charitable Foundation Supports initiatives and programs that benefit members of the U.S. Armed forces and their families, such as educational opportunities for children, health and welfare programs and disaster relief efforts.
- Providing Free Call Days for deployed U.S. Troops through Operation Homefront – DC Metro.
- Washing the Korean War Memorial as well as the Vietnam Wall – DC Metro
- Partnering with Pets for Patriots
- Sponsoring a stop on the U.S. Army Concert Tour